- Popova, M. 2018. “Slight dub-con but they both wanted it hardcore”: Erotic fanfiction as a form of cultural activism around sexual consent. (Thesis). University of the West of England.
- Popova, M. 2018. “Re-writing the romance: emotion work and sexual consent in arranged marriage fanfiction”. Journal of Popular Romance Studies.
- Popova, M. 2018. “‘Happy Consensual Gangbangs’: Deconstructing Sports Cultures and Hegemonic Masculinity in Football RPF”. In Spacey, A. (Ed.) The Darker Side of Slash Fan Fiction. Jefferson, NC: McFarland.
- Popova, M. 2018. “‘Dogfuck Rapeworld’: Omegaverse fanfiction as a critical tool in analysing the impact of social power structures on intimate relationships and sexual consent.” Porn Studies. 10.1080/23268743.2017.1394215.
- Popova, M. and Jones, B., 2017. Sex and Sexualities in Popular Culture: A Networking Knowledge Special Issue. Networking Knowledge: Journal of the MeCCSA Postgraduate Network, 10(3), pp.1-5.
- Popova, M. 2017. “‘When the RP gets in the way of the F’: Star Image and Intertextuality in Real Person(a) Fiction.” Transformative Works and Cultures, no. 25. 10.3983/twc.2017.1105.
- Popova, M. 2017. “Inactionable/Unspeakable: Bisexuality in the Workplace.” Journal of Bisexuality. 10.1080/15299716.2017.1383334.
- Popova, M. 2015. Book Review: Fat Sex: New Directions in Theory and Activism. Feminist and Women’s Studies Association Blog.
Activist & Opinion
- Popova, M. 2019. Sexual Consent. MIT Press Essential Knowledge Series.
- Popova, M. 2016. “Bi in the Workplace”. In Kate Harrad (ed.) Purple Prose: Bisexuality in Britain. Portland, OR: Thorntree Press.
- Popova, M. 2016. “Fictional Bisexuality: Reviews and Reflections”. In Kate Harrad (ed.) Purple Prose: Bisexuality in Britain. Portland, OR: Thorntree Press.
- Guest posts at The F-Word, 2011-2014.
- Contributions to Huffington Post UK, 2011-2014.
- Contributions to The Guardian‘s Comment is Free, 2010-2011.
Interviews, Podcasts, etc.
- Milena Popova Uses This, October 2017.
- Episode 70A: Consent in Fandom Interview with Milena Popova – Extended Cut: Three Patch Podcast, November 2017.
- How fanfiction is leading the way when it comes to conversations about consent: Just Geek Stuff, January 2019.
- “Consent is a radical concept: Interview with the New Humanist, May 2019.
- Episode 15: Fanfiction: The Intersection of things, June 2019.